Saturday, May 11, 2013

#4 Re-using Wood/Foam Ribs

Easy Riser glider repair #4
May 11,2013
Got side-tracked the last several days with all the hot, dry weather (feels like late June) in Oregon so I've been working on the Easy Riser trailer outside.
The left upper root strut is now riveted in place and I have to re-work the ribs in order to install them.  To remove them from the damaged wing, I had to drill out rivets holding them in position.  Here's a shot of one of the ribs after removal:
On most of them, the rivet stem stayed in the rib and the hole in the rib cap strip is now larger than it was originally.  To re-rivet with any hope of having the rivet head to grip under the cap strip, I decided to cut a slot in the side of the rib end cap, remove the rivet stem, slide in a rivet washer and re-rivet using a 3/8" stem rivet instead of the original 1/4".


Six more to go and I'll add another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment